My birthday is coming. It's actually on Christmas eve's eve. Yup 23 Dec. Like, tomorrow. I like the fact that somewhere it may be snowing, somewhere except Malaysia.
I have a love hate relationship with my month of birth.
- Christmas. How am I suppose to compete with Jesus Christ! He's like the cool kid where everyone celebrates his Birthday.
- Holidays. In many classes around the world, when it's your birthday or even the month of your birthday. The teacher would gather all the birthday babies in a row and the whole class would sing. If you're really lucky there would be cake! But not for December babies. School here is on a month long break, right smack on December. And every friends family has vacation planed.
- 2 in 1 presents. I feel swindled. "Since your birthday is near so I'll give you one. 2 in 1." That is, if they remember your birthday when the school re opens. Probably not because then the limelight would be on the January babies.
- Magical time of the year. Everyone is cheery and nicer even though the weather in Malaysia is still hot humid and wet.
- Everyone is happy. Holiday seasons tend to do that. And the year end bonuses is a perfect cherry on the cake.
- Somewhere it's snowing. Someday I want to celebrate my birthday in the snow. I missed the chance several years back when I was in Nagoya. The day I left Midori-ku was the day it snowed as I was told by my host mom.
- I still have my family. My most memorable birthday was my 12th where I had a decent party and 3 of my friends came. But there was cake, mee hoon goreng and sparkling juice. Woohoo! Quite the party right? And my 21st Birthday. Most Malaysian girls get a key symbol in the form of a necklace or earrings as a sign of freedom. I got an oven. I was genuinely happy as it was a gift I wanted. Screw symbolism, give me something I can use.
- Family dinners. It's quite Malaysian Chinese of us. Any celebrations? We eat!
I was never the cool kid whom every one scrambles to wish Happy Birthday or the sweet young thing that receives tonnes of presents from her suitors. I was the quite girl who stood in the corner and sang along to someone else birthday all the while too shy to wish anyone or too socially inept to find a good gift so I don't give any. Sure, now I'm more vocal but Birthday is still a touchy subject for me.
So here I am wishing my self Happy Birthday and clicking online for the next birthday gift for my self. As I prepare for dinner with the family.
So here's a toast to us December babies. Happy Birthday to us all! *clink*
P/S: What is you Christmas/Birthday wish this year? Do share in the comments bellow ^^