In case you don't know who Ceaser Millan is, he is a dog trainer based in Los Angeles and does wonders with dogs. His approaches are often simple yet powerful. With a series called "The Dog Whisperer" you can see the does win over the dogs with his calm-assertive energy. No shouting or beatings just calm-assertive energy. What i really like about him is his innate sense to understand dogs and their behaviour driving him to set up a dog psychology center in LA. You see, dogs are simple animals living in the now. Even aggressive large breeds (Mr. Millans specialty) like Pit bulls can be balance and happy animals.
Inspired by his videos I decided to bring Sky out for a nice long walk and boy was it fun! Difficult at first but using the reverse leash technique we were happily working up a sweat! Sure he would try to dominate me by going in front once in a while but with a short tug to the side and a shush we're back on track. We had so much fun that we were out for about an hour just brisk walking and even ran for the final few minutes. Being a person who seldom exercises it felt good. Sure I was sweaty, my face was blushing, my thighs for some reasons felt like ants were crawling all over them but it was a great feeling to walk with Sky. A bonding experience of sorts.
I admit I'm no where near his level but it's good to know that there is hope for aggressive dogs. Professional hope.
A few quotes that I gathered from Wikipedia:
- "It’s not about the dog. It’s always about us. It’s always about the owner. It’s up to us to create an environment and circumstances in which the dog can thrive and be itself.”
- "To be happy, (dogs) basically need a good job, and good food, and a pat on the head. Americans tend to over-do on the affection and under-do on the exercise.
- "Stay calm and assertive."
- "Never work against Mother Nature."
- "You can say as much as you want, but the (dogs are) picking up what is... inside of you."
- "Humans are the only animals who will follow unstable pack leaders."
- "No dog is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate dogs, I train people. I am the dog whisperer."
You can check out his site here. Please, before getting a dog, check out his tips. They are not toys that you play dress up with and show off then chuck aside when you are bored with them.
Shhhh....I think I'm developing a crush on Mr. Millan. Sure he's not your typical Brad Pitt look alike but there's something about his confident calm assertive energy that makes you admire him. No wonder the dogs love him. Don't tell Ben ;p